Creative and imaginative in design and thinking. Deliberate in work methodology. Being able to be objective when looking at problems and conceptualise their solutions and execute them in a detailed manner very precisely and accurately. Analyse the good points and bad points of various possible solutions. Fascinated with exploring the possibilities of what can be done with existing tools and objects, as well as innovating new ones.
Programming and Mark-up Languages
- HTML5 / XHTML
- CSS (Levels 3, 2.1, 2 and 1)
- XML / XSL
- Visual Basic / Visual Basic for Applications
- Shell scripting (bash / Python / Perl / PowerShell)
Applications (Desktop and Server)
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Office 2016 – ‘95 (Word / Excel / PowerPoint / Access / etc.)
- MySQL / MariaDB
- Apache HTTP Server / NGINX / Microsoft IIS
- Cadence (Virtuoso-XL / Assura DRC / Assura LVS / Diva Physical Verification / OrCAD)
- GNU/Linux (Debian / Ubuntu / Gentoo / Redhat / CentOS / SuSE) & FreeBSD
- Microsoft Windows & Windows Server (10 / 2016 and older)
- PC and server hardware building, maintenance and diagnostics.
- English at native fluency (spoken, listening, reading & writing) for colloquial, formal, academic & technical prose.
- Cantonese at native fluency (spoken / listening), basic reading skills.
- German, French & Mandarin Chinese at beginner fluency.
Education and Qualifications
- HNC Electronics Engineering 1st year, 4 modules at pass or higher.
- A-Level Mathematics Pure & Mechanics at grade B, Art and Design at grade A, Physics at grade C and General Studies at grade E.
- Created media plans for advertising campaigns that were to be delivered though the network of major Asia publishers, assigning correct weighting to maximise exposure and ensure full delivery of respective campaigns in their allotted timeframe.
- Authored technical presentation for publishers that wish to integrate the bespoke Inskin Media ad formats to their online media properties, detailing common integration problems and how to easily overcome them.
- Triaged issues of ad display, a need to halt specific ads from serving due to news sensitive events, and other such issues, then implement a fix myself or submit a ticket to the appropriate internal system to be worked on by the team in London.
- Optimised existing LEMP (Linux, nGinx, MySQL, PHP) stack to better handle current Magento workload through reconfiguration of server software and deploying opcode, bytecode and memory caching mechanisms using Alternative PHP Cache (APC) and memcached. Server response times improved by nearly a factor of 10 which smoothed the shopping experience, reduced abandoned carts and allowed search engines to properly index the complete site.
- Planned and tested the re-architecting of the server cluster to make full use of Amazon Web Service’s various technologies of Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Instance Store, Elastic Block Store (EBS), Relational Database Service (RDS), et cetera to fully realise the advantages of cloud-based hosting in further reducing latency and greatly increasing concurrent user capacity by more than 2 orders of magnitude compared to the old production setup whilst reducing monthly costs.
- Managed the production of offline media such as business cards, office stationary and pamphlets in Hong Kong/Shenzhen to strict requirements and to a lower cost than what would be possible within continental Europe.
- Provisioned material samples and prototypes for manufacturing capabilities in such items as environmentally friendly reusable bags, children’s toys, board games, digitally printed clothing, exhibition promotional items, et cetera.
- Expanded the scope of advertising within the phpBB.com website with campaigns that offered a higher rate of return whilst making the adverts more useful and relevant to end-users.
- Sent developers to more software development conferences around the world, which increased exposure of the project and allowed the developers to meet and learn from key industry people regarding software development.
- Procured sufficient funds to allow phpBB to host its first, own software conference/meet-up in London on the 20th July 2008 and to fly in key team members from around the world to do talks and workshops.
- Amassed capital which fully funded a second, larger conference in New York on the 19th till 21st August 2010, with the first day being an internal phpBB session, and the final two days being open to outside registrants for talks and workshops.
- Paid for the software code security audit for the 3rd generation of phpBB software by renowned PHP security consultants, SektionEins GmbH., and is what makes phpBB3 have such an impressive track record in the lack of critical security vulnerabilities.
- Redesigned sections of the printed catalogue containing over 300,000 products to vastly improve usability and ease of searching for customers thereby improving sales volume.
- Eliminated extraneous information in the existing catalogue by reducing the 7 volume book set to just 4, presenting more relevant information thereby improving customer accessibility and lowered business cost through easier maintenance and less paper usage.
- Recommended changes for revised catalogue pages to ensure accuracy of technical product information by means of peer review.
- Negotiated a number of “Best working practises” for the project when using various Microsoft packages and newly rolled out bespoke catalogue production tools to hit project milestones that were set without compromising information integrity.
- Produced a number of complex high-speed analogue interfaces in leading edge semiconductor technology, which won design projects or further custom from a number of large prolific and new growing clients where each project would create substantial revenue income.
- Planned the physical implementations of designs which were on developmental deep sub-micron semiconductor process technologies. Translated a number of difficult foundation components into physical design within very tight time scales working in a close team of engineers.
- Developed a training session that ran once per year for new placement students to introduce them to the tools used in physical design. Demonstrated verification packages used to ensure the physical layouts are correct and meet specification requirements intrinsic to the schematic blueprints. Co-ordinated plan of work and hands on presentation demonstrating how their choices in conceptual stages affect physical design.
- Provided weekly summary report to manager via email outlining progress of design work, what problems were encountered, how other designers were engaged & discuss the feasibility of a design implementation and if required execute changes but still meet industry or customer specifications.
- Won an award in “Excellence in Customer Service” for key part in identifying a problem with a prestigious customer’s account and working on own initiative to investigate the problem and communicate findings to relevant teams in Barclays Merchant Services.
- Achieved greater business market share as subsidiaries of the client moved to Barclays away from a competitor as their card processing acquirer and also continued custom of the client.
- Worked closely with the IT department as a user consultant in developing new software systems for the Customer Services Department. Demonstrated inconsistencies intrinsic to the provisional software in either functionality or user interface, and investigated possible solutions on consultation with the team of programmers.
- Verified that the learning curve for the new software had to be as shallow as possible whilst adding new/improving existing features. Operated and conducted familiarisation workshops for the 100 or so staff that were to use the system and to gain wider feedback for final software system tweaks.
- Oversaw entire phpBB Group operations in managing and co-ordinating the various functional teams within phpBB.com via the respective team’s team leader and hitting project milestones in both the development and live websites for fast and efficient end-user support.
- Pushed for the adoption of full Unicode (as UTF-8) support within the then developmental phpBB3 forum system in spite of the fact Unicode string/data handling within PHP itself was non-existent/poor and required new functions to be created to handle the various aspects of Unicode equivalence allowing for as near as perfect extensibility of phpBB3 in multilingual environments. Enabled phpBB3 by production ready release to be one of the most translated Opensource web-application projects and currently supports 49 languages (including dialect variations) including English, Greek, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, Thai, etc.
- Liaised with Oregon State University Open Source Lab (OSUOSL) in being the Internet host for phpBB to allow for continued growth as an increasingly popular forum software solution. Managed and executed the physical server migration from the old commercial host to OSUOSL ensuring all systems were normal and with the minimum of down-time.
- Initiated contact with the Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) for preliminary discussions in acquiring a “Fiduciary Licence Agreement” which would assign the FSFE copyright for phpBB Group’s work so that a single entity holds copyright to counteract copyright fragmentation, to efficiently enforce copyright and/or Free and Open-source Software licence requirements, and lastly to buffer phpBB against copyright/patent trolls so as to ensure the long-term viability of the phpBB project.
- Procured advertisers relevant to phpBB end-users and create an income stream which was then reinvested into the phpBB project for such things as new computer hardware, software licenses, programming workshops, software conferences, et cetera to improve responsiveness of the website, allow designers and developers to work more efficiently and capably, and to increase exposure of the project to the wider Free and Open-source Software community.
- Maintain the website’s live demonstration of phpBB Styles by validating submitted design work for conformance to internal group guidelines and to World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) guidelines.
- Advocate the importance of an accessible Internet by promoting best practices of HTML and CSS authoring both within “The phpBB Group” and to the community in general to ensure the website’s can be used by anyone, regardless of their disability.
- Consulted with the various internal phpBB teams in drawing up “phpBB.com site rules”, which where then enforced by the Moderator Team members which ensured the website’s discussion and support forums were spam-free and that end-users would have a pleasant experience when making use of the website.
- Acted as mediator between end-users and “The phpBB Group” should there be any grievances in the conduct of any member of “The phpBB Group”.
- Provided basic technical support and general house-keeping duties on the then developmental 2nd generation phpBB developers’ “Area51” website for early-adopting forum administrators who wished to make use pre-production code and contribute to the software’s development.
- Maintained the book-keeping for the charity’s Midlands & Anglia region and calculated the amount of donated income which would qualify for “Gift Aid”, the Inland Revenue’s tax rebate scheme for charitable donations and process the claim.
- Promoted charity awareness through production of newsletters and leaflets which were distributed via mail to subscribers or supporting corporate entities.
Training and Development
Workshops that I have been at in the last 10 years include “Creative Thinking”, “Project Management”, “Customer Care”, “Presentation Skills”, “Team Building”, “Health & Safety”, “Fire Safety” and “ISO 9000 Awareness”.
Available on request.